Cherry Kino

Cherry Kino

Friday, 31 August 2012

My film 'Peach'

'Peach' is a hand-made Super 8 film, and an attempt at making a piece of 'Synaesthetic Cinema' (or 'Cinesthetic Synaema') according to ideas and principles I explored when working on my Master's degree in artist film. My suggestion is that we are all latently synaesthetic, and that a cinematic work has the capacity to elicit this synaesthetic experience if it is made in a personal, artisanal, ethical, and materially and sensually responsive and self-inclusive way. On doing my research, I discovered that Jojo, my boyfriend's daughter and my lovely friend, is herself synaesthetic, which is something that nobody knew until then. Jojo experiences numbers and days of the week with colours. The numbers 2, 6 and 8 all have distinct yet related colours - they are each variants of a type of orangey-peach. My method of filming and camera filters combined to create a peachy hue to my film. 'Peach' is also a nickname my mum gave me as a child, and one that I have realised I now give to Jojo. 

'Peach' is a deeply personal and sensual meditation on the stunning complexity of aesthetics (whose etymological root is 'sensations'), ideas of new materialisms and embodied film spectatorship, and the deep and complex feelings I have for my boyfriend's daughter. 'Peach' was shot on Super 8 and was entirely hand-processed and hand-edited. Please get in touch if you'd like to know more.






x Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment